Mar 22, 2017
Google Play | RSS
Ruth Kaufman is
the Amazon bestselling author of the Wars of the Roses Brides
trilogy (At His Command, Follow Your Heart and The Bride
Tournament) and My Once and Future Love. Accolades include 2016
Booksellers Best Award Best Historical and Best First Book winner
and Romance Writers of America® Golden Heart® award
An actor, storyteller and speaker
with an M.S. and J.D, Ruth's credits include independent feature
films, web series, pilots, national TV commercials and hundreds of
We launch Working Class Creatives with an interview of author and
actor Ruth Kaufman. I've had the pleasure of working with Ruth on
several audiodrama projects, including the production of
Synesthesia Theatre's Cold Reboot, where she put her excellent
vocal skills to work recording the majority of artificial
intelligence-delivered lines. It was a joy to have her as my first
guest, and I look forward to working with her again in the future.
- Versatility brings creative professionals more work and more
opportunity. Ruth's career is 50% acting and 50% writing. The
acting is split evenly between voice acting and live action.
- Ruth prefers live auditions to self taped audition; self-taping
provides more scheduling freedom, but live auditions allow you
build relationships and get feedback.
- She does not have a day job. A run of slow weeks makes it hard
to sustain the process; you have to be self-driven to keep getting
- Self confidence is important, but you need to have faith that
other people will believe in your work. These are elements you do
- Changes in Amazon's Select program have made marketing books
more difficult. Reviews are also harder to come by.
- There are a lot of marketing choices that need to be made and
evaluated every day. Self-driven creatives don't have anyone else
to rely on, and ultimately are responsible for all these
- Theatre experience is valued by casting directors, but does not
itself bring in much money.
- Most people don't understand the nature of voiceover acting.
There's more than commercials: e-learning, phone prompt work,
- Vocal skill and quality is less important than personal
discipline to find work and get clients, and being able to read the
clients to deliver the copy they way they want.
- Cartoon voice acting is mostly done on-site in Los Angeles;
very little is remote work.
- Before quitting your day job, use that job's money to prepare
yourself taking classes and covering marketing costs. You will be
competing with people who are already established.
- I have worked with her on several occasions; she voiced the
main artificial intelligence in Synesthesia Theatre's second season
story Cold Reboot and in the standalone Simple
Harmonic Motion. She was cast in the unproduced web series
Like this episode? Subscribe, rate, and review it on iTunes
you appreciate what we're doing, please consider supporting us
through the Patreon